I’ve been using chia seeds recently for breakfast, dessert and baking and I just love their versatility! Chia seeds are excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, rich in antioxidants, fiber, iron, and calcium. Theyhelp raise “good” cholesterol that protects against heart attack and stroke. Besides, what I like the most is that they are easy to work with. You can make a natural pudding overnight without using gelatine or agar-agar. The natural jelly-like texture gives a fun and interesting sensation in your mouth, and I love the fact that you can choose any liquid you like to combine with chia; think milk, tea, coffee, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc. This is an easy, yummy recipe – great for breakfast or dessert. I’m using soy milk because the flavour fits well with green tea, but you can use rice milk or just plain milk if you like. I don’t recommend coconut milk or almond milk because it dominates the green tea flavour.
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
2 cups soy milk (sweetened or unsweetened)
2 Tbsp honey
6 Tbsp chia seeds (i’m using black chia)
1/2 Tbsp green tea powder (matcha)
1Tbsp hot water
For topping: additional sweetened soy milk and fruit of your choice
1. Dissolve green tea powder in hot water. We are doing this to completely dissolve the green tea so that it is easy to integrate into the liquid later.
2. In a bowl or a big measuring cup or glass jar, mix 2 cups soy milk and the honey well. If you are using sweetened soy milk go less on the honey. Adjust the amount of honey depending on your taste.
3. Stir in 6 Tbsp chia seeds into the soy milk mixture. Usually 3 Tbsp of chia seeds are used for 1 cup of liquid. Make sure to use a whisk to stir to distribute the chia seeds well. Just steering with spoon is not enough and will create clumps in the end product. Cover the container with plastic wrap or lid.
4. Keep it in refrigerator at least for 3 hours. For best results, keep it overnight.
5. The pudding is ready to serve. Distribute it in glass containers, add a layer of soy milk, and garnish with fruits on top.
6. Enjoy! Tell your guests the health benefits of chia seeds. They will love it even more.
PS: Chia pudding can be kept in the fridge for 5 days. Make a big batch and eat it as snack.