Lingue di Suocera* al Sale i Rosmarino
*“Lingue di Suocera” means Mother-in-Law’s Tongue
I love to have homemade crackers with cheese because they are just the best! This is done in 20 minutes and it uses simple ingredients from your home pantry. If you have some fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme, you are all set!
Ingredients: Makes 4 long flat crackers
- 200g flour (or 1/2 Knöpflimehl + 1/2 flour )
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs of choice (rosemary or thyme)
- 1 teaspoon salt + a good pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100mL cold water + extra if needed
- Extra olive oil to brush on surface
- Some coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Heat up oven to 180°C fan (Umluft)
- In a bowl mix: flour, salt, sugar, chopped herbs.
- Add in the water and oil.
- Mix until it becomes one mass (Add more cold water if needed.) Form into a ball and knead for 3 minutes until it is soft.
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and let rest for 30 min in room temperature.
- Dust working space with flour. Divide the dough into 4 pieces, roll out into a very thin dough that looks like a “tongue”. Place on baking tray with parchment paper.
- Brush olive oil on the surface of the “tongue”.
- Roll surface with a pastry needle or poke holes with a fork (to prevent over-puffing)
- Sprinkle surface with a little bit of coarse salt.
- Bake for ca. 8 -12 min until the edges are golden brown. Cool completely and keep in an air-tight container for a week.