Got Kimchi that’s become too sour in your refrigerator? Make Kimchi fried rice!
This post is for Cindy, who enjoys watching Korean dramas and makes her own Kimchi. She visited our Kimchi workshop recently.
Kimchi fried rice is so addictive and rich in flavor. I keep my Kimchi extra long in the refrigerator until it gets sour, just so that I can make Kimchi fried rice 🙂 By the way, authentic restaurant-style Kimchi fried rice is always topped with a sunny-side egg!
Ingredients for 1 portion
- 1 portion cooked rice (better when cold)
- 50-80g of sour Kimchi, chopped (cut with scissors so your hands don’t get wet from the Kimchi juice)
- Half of small-mid size onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- About 2 Tablespoon of green onion, chopped thinly
- Some ham, chopped (optional)
- Some frozen cooked peas, thawed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- Some toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Cooking oil (any vegetable oil is OK)
- Heat up a frying pan with some cooking oil. Work on medium-high heat.
- Put the onions and stir fry until the onions turn transparent.
- Add in the chopped ham and stir-fry for about 30 seconds (you are infusing the oil with the ham flavor)
- Add in the Kimchi and stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the rice and green peas. Stir-fry until rice is hot and well combined with other ingredients.
- Add in the green onion and stir fry until aromatic.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon sesame oil, toss everything together
so the sesame oil mixes well with all ingredients.
- Put all the Kimchi fried rice onto a serving plate. Set aside.
- Now quickly make a sunny-side-up egg. Then place it on top of your Kimchi fried rice.
- Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on it. Take a picture for your instagram and enjoy!